We are a small, early stage, high growth company focused on using data science to transform the way people are hired. We seek an inventive, collaborative, methodologically-grounded, experienced, socially-minded data scientist to help lead our rapidly growing data science team. Reporting to the Vice President of Data Science, this individual will lead exploration of new applicant and hire data streams that Arena collects and oversee development of statistical and machine learning methods suited for that data. He/she will also work closely with Arena’s Engineering and Product teams to oversee implementation, and to refine and check the validity of these methods.
Mission and culture
At Arena our mission is simple: using data to illuminate talent. If you ask anyone at Arena about our company culture the first word you’ll probably hear is collaborative. While it’s true the people here are all intelligent, hardworking, and capable, we are also people who are open to criticism and check our egos at the door. We are charting new territory, and empathy and humility are critically important to our journey.
This is just the beginning of a revolution in how employers use data to make better HR decisions and how individuals are able to find fulfilling work beyond the bounds of bias.
We enjoy substantial funding and are building out our team as we gain market share.
What We Believe In:
- Empathy with one another and our users. Inclusiveness, communication and collaboration are core tenets of how we work.
- Contribution to the open source community. We are built on open source technologies and we give back.
- Small feedback loops are critical to developing product and technology.
- Ownership gives individuals the agency to grow and aligns outcomes.
- Contribute high-quality code to the product code base in a timely fashion and provide constructive feedback to more junior data scientists via code reviews and other teaching methods, as appropriate
- Stay up-to-date on relevant statistics/ML techniques and tools in order to identify those pertinent to the work of the team and set up appropriate processes for sharing knowledge with teammates
- Guide junior data scientists in identification and implementation of appropriate data science techniques for the problem at hand
- Exemplify best practices in execution of data science tasks
- Work with product management and tech leads to help scope technical approach and level of effort for data science tasks
- Surface issues and concerns to senior management as appropriate
- In addition, the Data Scientist Technical Lead will
- Work closely with product manager to determine scope, priorities, risks, and week-to-week planning; following the quarterly goals set by leadership
- Guide the team through projects, keep track of their progress, contribute to and review code base, ask questions, and provide feedback
Education & Experience
- MA/MS or PhD in Statistics, Management Science/Operations Research, Computer Science (Machine Learning), Electrical Engineering or other data-rich technical field.
- Strong foundation and expertise in statistical modeling techniques and at least 5+ years applying these techniques to solve real-world applied problems in business or industry.
- Strong R skills as well as experience developing production modeling code, ideally in Python.
- Experience with SQL queries and data visualization tools.
- Experience with code versioning systems, such as Git
- Experience leading a small team to complete time-sensitive development projects.
- The mission, the people and the work.
- The mission: work on a project that is making the world a better place.
- The people: work for a high growth company, and learn in an environment where people care about growth and work/life balance.
- The work: pragmatically use amazing technology.
- Competitive salary, benefits and equity.
Please visit us at: https://www.arena.io/about/careers.html